Read about Firbeck in 1900
Fritebec in 12th cent. 'Woodland stream'
William Dickenson, born in 1540, lived in Firbeck and was the Earls of Shrewsbury's Bailiff of Sheffield from 1574, when he is said to have succeeded James Turner. His position was, however, much more important than that of mere bailiff and it seems clear that he also succeeded Thomas Sutton, the Earl's Receiver, who was responsible for the financial business of the Sheffield, Derbyshire, Worksop and Staffordshire estates. Sutton died in 1570-71 but Dickenson may not have been his immediate successor. Dickenson had a house built in Sheffield High Street in 1575. He died in 1606. His daughter married Sir Ralph Knight
William West (1548–1598), lawyer, was son of Thomas West, of Beeston, Notts and Anne, daughter of William Bradbury of the Peak, Derbyshire. He made a fortune by the practice of the law, and wrote a legal book called Symbolaeographia. In 1594 he built Firbeck Hall. His eldest son, William, succeeded him.
John West, son of William jnr. died in 1638, leaving a sister and coheir, Elizabeth, who married Lord Darcy, son of Michael Darcy and Margaret Wentworth; and secondly, to Sir Francis Fane, who inherited Firbeck after her death.
Archives:In 1664, the Manor or lordship of Firbeck, and manor house or capital messuage called Firbeck Hall and one dovecote and water corne mill, and all messuages, cottages, lands, tenements, meadows, pastures, closes, woods etc. late the inheritance of John West esq. deceased in Firbeck, and in Maltby, Yorks; and all messuages, lands, grounds, meadows, pastures etc. late the inheritance of John West in Thwaytes, Letwell, Gidingwells, Tropham, Laughton and Ewes, Yorks.; and tenement or farmhold in Firbeck, late in the tenure of John Sanderson. It was passed to the Hon. Sir Francis Fane the younger, son and heir apparent on his marriage to Hannah Rushworth, the eldest daughter of John Rushworth of Lincoln's Inn.
On the death of Mrs. Miles, the Firbeck Estates, formed the Miles Trust which was inherited by Sydney Gladwin Jebb on the death of Henry Gladwin Jebb in 1898.
Firbeck was described in the 1800s, as a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberties of St. Peter and Tickhill; Firbeck Hall, then the seat of John Gally Knight, Esq. It is situated 4 miles from Tickhill, 6 miles from Worksop, 7 miles from Bawtry, and 11 miles from Rotherham. The population was 226.
The Church, a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Peter, in the Deanery of Doncaster. Patron, the Chancellor of St. Peters, York. This church was rebuilt on the site of the old one, during 1820-1, by Mrs. Gally Knight. On the south side of the chancel, is a monument for Sir Ralph Knight, of Langold, and Faith, his wife; also several inscriptions upon the floor for some of their children. Nearly opposite to Sir Ralph Knight's monument is one of the West's family of Firbeck, a family of considerable account, but long since extinct. There are also several inscriptions in the chancel floor for the Staniforth family.
In the churchyard there is a headstone with the inscription: Isabell Robinson of Stone, buried November 22nd, 1694 age 114 years. Also James Robinson, son, was buried July 24th 1730 aged 109 years.
Also part of Firbeck:
Cuckolds Haven - a farm-house in the township and parish of Firbeck; 4 miles S. of Tickhill.
Park Hill Estate - Formerly Gawkhill Hall, or the hall of the cuckoo hill. It was once the property and residence of some of the Saunderson family. In 1685 of Thomas Chadwick, afterwards successively of Mr. Nonus Parker of Thurcroft, Mr. William Singleton, Sir Thomas Fouke governor of Gibraltar, and the trustees of Mr. Thomas Thornhill. In about 1765 it was purchased by Anthony St. Leger, and from him it descended to Antony Francis Butler St. Leger.
Hewett Cottrell Watson (1804-81) the botanist was born here in 1804.
In 1935 a newspaper reported that Park Hill was to be demolished and a new house built on the site.
Read about Park Hill described in the year 1900 »
An oval field in the village marks what was once the private racecourse of 18th century racehorse owner Anthony St Leger, who began the St. Leger Stakes. While the first "St. Leger" race was held on Cantley Common in Doncaster in 1776, and was not named such until over a year later; the race was being run in Firbeck prior to this.
Stone - a hamlet in the parishes of Firbeck and Maltby, situated 3 miles south-west of Tickhill.
The house was Elizabethian,and built by William West. The Estate formerly belonged to the Segraves, the Cressys, Sir Francis Fane, the Staniforths, and a Mr. Barker, who sold the estate and manor to Mr. Henry Gally.
William Hurst(1787-1844), architect and his partner John Woodhead remodelled Firbeck Hall in about 1820 for Henry Gally Knight. They also built the church in Firbeck, using a mixture of late Norman and Early English style.
After the death of Gally Knight the Firbeck Estate including the hall, was put up for Sale in 1852 and was described:
Surrounded by beautiful gardens and pleasure grounds, with sheets of ornamental water in the midst of park like meadows, screened from the north and west by thriving plantations, and is approached by three lodge entrances. It contains upwards of 20 bedchambers with dressing rooms and water closets, entrance hall, billiard room, dining room, drawing room, library, vestibule and study, attached and detached servants offices, with noble vaulted and other cellars, there are cisterns on the top of the roof for hard, soft and river water. Upwards of 29 stables for horses with coach houses, carriage sheds, lofts, corn chambers and servants rooms.
Firbeck Hall Club
In 1935, Cyril Nicholson, a stockbroker from Sandygate, Sheffield, opened the hall as a country club, investing £80,000 in its renovation. The interior was modernised to include billiards room, ballroom, cocktail bars, restaurant and wine cellars. Other facilities included 18 hole golf course, Tennis, Squash Racquets, Swimming Pool, Fishing, Riding and an Aerodrome - designed by Captain T. Campbell Black.
- Full membership: Seven guineas
- Ladies Membership: Five guineas
- Joint Membership: Ten guineas
- Country Membership (30 miles): Three guineas
- Children or Wards of Members: From one to three guineas
- Serving Officers of Army, Navy and RAF: Three to Five guineas
- Monday-Friday: Single Room 7s. 4d. each person per day
- Double Room 7s.6d.
- Friday,Saturday & Sunday: Single Room 10s.6d.
- Double Room 10s.6d.
- Room with Private Bathroom - extra
- Breakfast: 1s.6d. to 2s.6d.
- Luncheon: 3s.0d.
- Afternoon Tea: 1s.6d.
- Dinner (except Saturdays): 5s.0d.
- Dinner Saturday: 6s.0d.
- Supper Sunday: 4s.0d.
It is said that the club was patronised by the likes of Amy Johnson and the then Prince of Wales. Rumour has it that the Prince of Wales and Wallis Simpson used to take time in the country at Firbeck Hall and the BBC would regularly broadcast dance nights from the country club.
According to a Sheffield Telegraph report of July, 1935, the Prince of Wales did visit the hall, and was impressed ' ... with the appearances of Firbeck Hall ...' as he inspected the club premises. Presented to him by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield were: Lord and Lady Fielding; Mr. Cyril Nicholson and his wife and daughter; and Captain Campbell Black, the airman, and his actress bride, Miss Florence Desmond. The Prince then walked through the ballroom to the swimming pool, where a large number of members were bathing. He expressed his admiration of the club and was particularly interested, as a keen golfer, in the golf course
The Grove Hunt met there regularly from 1935 and the hall was reknowned as one of the leading social country clubs.
At the outbreak of the Second World War, the hall was used by Sheffield Royal Infirmary and the Royal Air Force, with the adjacent aerodrome becoming RAF Firbeck (Opened in 1940 & used by 613 squadron ). No 659 Squadron formed on 30th April ,1943 at Firbeck.
Firbeck Hall Rehabilitation Centre At the cessation of hostilities, the building was bought by the Miner's Welfare Commission for use as a rehabilitation centre for injured miners.
'... I fully remember that the disabled Olympic team used to meet up residentially and train at Firbeck. In fact I saw numerous gold and silver medals owned by the athletes. They were absolutely shattered when the hospital was scheduled for closure .
The services of the hospital were unique and such camaraderie was built up that it was staggering. We saw multiple amputees being sent there more or less as a last hope! Those who had been admitted at an earlier date took on a massive role of rehabilitation - silly things like fastening torches onto the amputees' wheelchairs so they could be pushed up to the pub in the dark. It was magical to see how these guys helped each other to recovery - and a terrible shame that the place had to close...'
This centre closed in 1984, and the building is currently privately owned.
Firbeck Hall is reputedly haunted by a Green Lady; believed to be the daughter of a former owner who drowned herself in the hall's lake when her Roundhead lover was killed.
In 2005, the grade II listed Firbeck Hall had been empty and decaying for more than a decade when thieves stole the lead from its roof leaving the fragile building exposed to the elements. Read More
South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum
First established at Home Farm, Firbeck, but in late 2000 the museum moved to the former RAF site at Doncaster and adopted the name AeroVenture.
See also Images of Firbeck
See also Memories of Firbeck
Read about Firbeck in 1900
Read about Park Hill in 1900
Read about Firbeck Hall Estate