At one time the whole estate was owned by the de Wickersleys; Broom Hall stood to the north of the River Porter, about a mile west of Sheffield; it was a low building surrounded by trees. An engraving '... secreta parentis Anchisae domus, arboribusque obtects' is of an age, says Hunter, not later than the time of Henry VIII.
Nicholas Wickersley, son of John, was the last with the name. His only daughter and heiress married Robert Swyft, the younger, son of Robert Swyft of Rotherham. By this marriage Robert Swyft became possessed of Wickersley, Broomhall and the other estates of the Wickersley family.
Broom Hall came to the Jessops when Richard Jessop , married Anne Swift, born 1531, eldest daughter of Robert Swift.
The Jessops added to the original structure while in their possession.
The modern part was built by the Rev. James Wilkinson, Vicar of Sheffield, who resided in this hall of his maternal ancestors, during the majority of the time he was vicar.
In 1791 Broom Hall was attacked by a mob who set fire to the house resulting in damage to the library which had been collected by Mr. Wilkinson's great-grandfather, Francis Jessop, who was one of the earliest members of the Royal Society.
The last William Jessop, 1664-1734, heir, died leaving no sons; only two unmarried daughters, Mary and Bertha; James Wilkinson was eldest surviving son of Barbara Jessop - the eldest daughter and co-heir, and Andrew Wilkinson, M.P. of Boroughbridge. In James' will dated December, 1801, he gave Broomhall to his cousin Philip Gell of Hopton, esquire, the son of John Gell and Isabella Jessop.
Mr Gell disposed of a great part of his property and Broomhall passed by sale into the hands of Mr. John Watson of Shiercliffe Hall.