Sandbeck Park, Maltby
Sandbeck, - the seat of the Earl of Scarbrough, is in the township and parish of Maltby, 2½ miles from Tickhill, 6miles from Bawtry, 10 miles from Rotherham.
Sandbeck - once the seat of Sir Thomas Sanderson. The manor was given by Idonea Vipont, daughter and heir of John de Busli to the Monks of Roche Abbey.
This elegant Mansion, which was built by Richard, the fourth Earl of Scarbrough, is a magnificent and commodious residence. The south front is in the pure style of Grecian architecture; and the interior corresponds with the exterior in elegance. Amongst a fine collection of pictures in this house, a description of which may be seen in Young's Northern Tour, is one, in the drawing room, by Wilson, of that true, incorruptible, and never to be forgotten patriot Sir George Savile, in a sitting posture, with a map of the river Calder before him.
The ancient family of the Lumleys, is descended from Liulph, a person of great nobility in the time of Edward the Confessor, who married Ealdgyth (Edith), daughter to Aldred, Earl of Northumberland; and that they took the name from their lordship of Lumley, on the banks of the river Wear, near Chester le Street.
As part of a programme to enhance his family seat at Sandbeck Park, in 1775 Lord Scarbrough commissioned Capability Brown to landscape the area. With little regard to the archaeological importance of Roche Abbey, Brown extensively demolished the remaining buildings, constructed huge earth terraces, and turfed across the entire site, leaving only the two transepts as 'romantic' features in the grounds. Until the end of the 19th century the remains of Roche lay disguised beneath Brown's wooded parkland, but with a successful programme of excavation during the 1920s, Roche was 'reborn' out of the ground.