Domesday name: Dermescop
In 1780 there was a dispute between Charles Palmer and Godfrey Wolly over the tithes of Thurnscoe Grange which was formerly property of Roche Abbey and the lands in question were exempt from tithes if they were in the hands of the owner but not if they were leased out.
In October, 1820 the population was 205. Thurnscoe was the seat of Charles Palmer, Esq. the Manor of Thurnscoe totalling 380 acres. was for sale
Described in 1868 as a parish in the Northern division of Strafforth wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles W. of Rotherham, 7½ miles N.W. of Doncaster, its post town, and 2½ miles from the Darfield station on the North Midland railway. The soil is clay and loam, with a subsoil of sandstone shale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £341. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, which go to the support of an almshouse. There is a school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is held. The Rev. T. W. Simpson is lord of the manor , living at Thurnscoe Hall, and principal landowner.
Thurnscoe Hall, was the birthplace of Sir William Henry Ellis, (1860–1945), a civil engineer and iron and steel manufacturer. He was the son of John Devonshire Ellis (1824–1906), and his wife, Elizabeth (née Bourne).
His father was a founding partner of John Brown & Co. Rotherham. in 1854.
Ellis married in 1889 Lucy Rimington (died 1938), daughter of Francis William Tetley, director of the firm of Joshua Tetley & Son, brewers and maltsters, of Leeds, by whom he had two sons and two daughters. He died in Sheffield 4 July 1945.
Sir John P. Fry, J.P. was living at the hall in 1922.
The School Board was formed in 1895.
In 1897, Rev. Charles Primrose was curate of Thurnscoe and Vicar of Ulley. By 1899 Rev. John Brock Beard, then Vicar of St. Mary's Greasbrough moved to the Rectory of St. Helen's, Thurnscoe. He moved to Hooton Roberts in 1914.
In 1902 the Hull, Barnsley and West Riding Junction Railway and Dock Company obtained power to make a line from Thurnscoe to Dinnington in order to obtain access to the new coalfield which was being developed.
It was proposed in 1913 to develop electric lighting, due to growth in population and excellent prospects of industrial development within the area. Suggested sites for power stations were at Wath and Wombwell.