Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
Dalton a common place-name especially in the northern counties, 'farmstead or village in a valley' Source: A Dictionary of British Place-Names in Names & Places
Dalton recorded in the Domesday Book as Daltone
In 1723 a John Whitehead inherited properties in Dalton Magna and Dalton Parva from William Stead
Described in the late 1800's as a township comprising the three small villages of Dalton Magna, Dalton Parva and Dalton Brook, from 2 to 3 miles E.N.E. of Rotherham . It has 319 inhabitants and 1400 acres of land belonging to various owners but G. S. Foljambe Esq is lord of the manor. The church, Holy Trinity at Dalton Parva, was erected in 1848 - 9 by G. S. Foljambe who endowed it with £150 per annum and a Parsonage House and small glebe. It is a small neat fabric, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £200 in the incumbancy of the Rev. G. H. Eyre, M. A.
Trades and Professions in 1822, Dalton MagnaDidsbury John
In 1856 when John Whittaker a farmer from Thrybergh was murdered at Dalton Brook, it is evident that Dalton was a hamlet - with few cottages, a windmill, a public house, and a blacksmith's shop.
WebsitesWickersleyweb ,includes 1891 census details.
Poll Tax, 1379, Dalton Magna
Dalton Progressive WMC