Rotherham Timeline

Timeline of events throughout the history of Rotherham.
Date Event/About Name Notes References
1st Century AD The Celtic Brigante tribes construct a fortress at Wincobank - This iron age fort is about 2 miles from Sheffield city centre. It's counterscarp bank encloses approx. 2 acres. The entrance is in the NE. E.Howarth excavated here at the end of the 1800's, he found the 17ft stone rampart had been burnt and had vitrified in places. Read more
54 AD The Romans construct a fort at Templeborough Original site was called Brough - meaning fort There are traces of Roman remains, consisting of earthworks and a rectangular encampment which was called Temple Brough, supposed to have been the station Ad Fines, and Roman coins and other antiquities have been found thereabouts. Read More
597 St. Augustine, the first Archbishop of Canterbury, converted England to Christianity - -
633 Edwin of Northumbria was killed in battle with heathens - The Battle of Hatfield was fought in October , 633 at Hatfield Chase, Doncaster, in Anglo-Saxon England between the Northumbrians under Edwin and an alliance of the Welsh of Gwynedd under Cadwallon ap Cadfan and the Mercians under Penda. It was a decisive victory for the Welsh and Mercians: Edwin was killed and his army was defeated, leading to the temporary collapse of the Northumbrian state. For a time South Yorkshire came under the dominion of Mercia -
830 Northumbrians submitted to Egbert of Wessex in order to forestall an invasion Ceremony performed at Dore, Sheffield This year was the moon eclipsed, on mid-winter's mass- night; and King Egbert, in the course of the same year, conquered the Mercian kingdom, and all that is south of the Humber, being the eighth king who was sovereign of all the British dominions. Ella, king of the South-Saxons, was the first who possessed so large a territory; the second was Ceawlin, king of the West- Saxons: the third was Ethelbert, King of Kent; the fourth was Redwald, king of the East-Angles; the fifth was Edwin, king of the Northumbrians; the sixth was Oswald, who succeeded him; the seventh was Oswy, the brother of Oswald; the eighth was Egbert, king of the West-Saxons. This same Egbert led an army against the Northumbrians as far as Dore, where they met him, and offered terms of obedience and subjection, on the acceptance of which they returned home. Source
865 Danish invaders arrive on the coast of Yorkshire Maltby, Hellaby, Cadeby, Denaby A number of settlements along the lower Don Valley have Danish Names -
937 AD Battle of Brunanburgh - - Battle of Brunanburgh»
1000 BC - 50-400 AD Caesar's Camp, an Iron Age fort Scholes Coppice contains several archaeological features, including Caesar's Camp, regarded as one of the best examples of its kind in South Yorkshire. In this Ancient woodland are two oval ditches with a central table which is sunken in the middle. The bank is surrounded by a deep ditch and further out is a second ditch.The earthwork has been described as Late Neolithic and also as Early to Middle Iron Age. It has been there since the people in this region were peasant farmers. Read more
1042 Accession of Edward the Confessor as King of England - - Read more
1065AD Earl Tosty was outlawed Morkar, son of Earl Elgar, was chosen as earl. He went south with all the shire, and with Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire and Lincolnshire, till he came to Northampton; where his brother Edwin came to meet him with the men that were in his earldom Anglo Saxon Chronicles
1066 Harold II is crowned king the day after Edward the Confessor dies. Tostig and Harold Hardraada of Norway invade England - Anglo Saxon Chronicles
1066 William of Normandy invades England. William defeats Harold and wins Battle of Hastings (october) William crowned king of England - Read more
1088 Robert of Mortain held land in Rotherham Brother of Odo and stepbrother of William. He displaced Acun (Hakon) as the landholder in Rotherham. Nigel Fossard was tenant-in-chief of Count of Mortain's and held Rotherham, along with Bramham Robert of Mortain was granted manors in Cornwall (248), Yorkshire (196), Northamptonshire (99), Devon (75), Sussex (54), Dorset (49) and Buckinghamshire (29). He also had manors in ten other counties. His 793 manors made him the second largest landowner in England. Read more »
1086 Rodreham mentiioned in Domesday Book 'Homestead or village on the River Rother'. Celtic river-name (meaning 'chief river') + Old English ham. Acuin was the Saxon who held the Manor of Rotherham in the time of Edward the Confessor Domesday Book
1147 Roche Abbey founded by Cistercian monks - - Cistercians in Yorkshire.
Present day images
1215 King John forced to sign Magna Carta - - -
1268 Sheffied, Ecclesfield and Bradfield were described as being within Hallamshire - - Read more »-
1295 Model Parliament set up in England - - -
1338-1453 Hundred Years War with France - - -
1348 Black Death raged in England - - -
1381 Social Upheaval led to Peasants Revolt - - -
29 September 1412 John Alestre appointed Mayor of Nottingham - He can be considered a merchant, and his will indicates associations, probably commercial, with Rotherham and Sheffield. He also held several properties in town and connections with local gentry. He died in 1431, his wealth is demonstrated by his monetary bequests totalling over £615, most left to his widow Cecily, his underage children Thomas, Robert and Joan, a married daughter and her four children. About the same time he served as bailiff (1402/03) and mayor (1409/10); he was to become mayor again in 1414/15, 1420/21, 1426/27, and 1430/31 and to serve as parliamentary representative in 1416. Reference
1455-85 War of Roses - - North of England and the Wars of the Roses
1483 The Chapel of Our Lady erected on Rotherham Bridge - - Bridge Chapels
1509-1547 Dissolution of monasteries by Henry VIII Roche Abbey The commissioners probably arrived at Roche near the end of 1535 The end of monastic life at Roche
1569 Queen Elizabeth I commits Mary Queen of Scots to the care of the George Talbot, The Sixth Earl of Shrewsbury - 1570 Mary Queen of Scots arrives in Sheffield where she is held captive either in the castle or at Manor Lodge for the next thirteen years -
1584 Free Grammar School founded by by Laurence Woodnett, and Anthony Collins - - -
1643 Rotherham was first attacked by Royalists in 1643 - Rotherham was a puritan stronghold during the English Civil War Read More
July 2, 1644 Battle of Marston Moor - One of the decisive battles of the English Civil War. The battle resulted in a Parliamentarian victory, and meant that, effectively, the north of England came under Parliamentary control. Read More
1730 On 7th November 1730 Foljambe patented his invention, the Rotherham Plough. Joseph Foljambe - Read more
1746 Iron-works, established at Masborough Founded by by Mr. Samuel Walker, and his brothers Aaron and Jonathan Immense quantities of ordnance of the largest calibre were cast here during the French war, and subsequently various iron bridges, among which was that of Southwark, in London. Read more
1751 Glass Works established - Owners Beatson Clark & Co. -
1775 Subscription Library, was established - - -
1775 The feoffees' school, built in 1775, and endowed with £100 a year - - -
1775 Boston Castle built as a shooting lodge - - More »
1777 Thundercliffe Grange Thundercliffe Grange, the seat of Lord Howard of Effingham, in the township of Kimberworth, and parish of Rotherham, upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; situated 4 miles from Rotherham, 6 from Sheffield, and 9 from Barnsley. This house was a Grange of the Cistercian Abbey of Kirkstead, in Lincolnshire, which had forges and other considerable property in this part of the parish of Ecclesfield, and the adjoining parish of Rotherham, of the gift of De Busli and De Luvetot. Previous to the erection of a Grange by the monks of Kirkstead, there appears to have been a small hermitage here, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. After the dissolution the Grange was bought by one of the family of Rokeby, and passing through the hands of several families, the Wombwells, Shiercliffes, and Greens, in quick succession, became the property of The Right Hon. Thomas, the third Earl of Effingham, who took down the old Grange; and near its site, about the year 1777, laid the foundation of the present handsome edifice. On his decease, without issue, it passed to his brother Richard, the fourth Earl of Effingham, who made it for many years his usual summer residence. He died in 1816. From1979 Thundercliffe Grange has been owned by "Thundercliffe Grange Limited" , previous to that the owner was Kenneth Alexander Howard, Baron Howard, of Effingham, K.C.B. -
1783 Joshua Walker built Clifton House - - -
1786 Joshua Walker built Eastwood House - - -
1791 The Sheffield Corresponding Society was set up - - Read More
1805 Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Talbot lane, built in 1805 - - -
1820 Effingham works established - Owners Yates Haywood & Co. -
1823 Parkgate Iron and Steelworks Established by Sanderson and Watson .In 1832 name changed to Birmingham Tin Plate Company. 1840 saw William Scholfield become owner. In 1854 renamed Samuel Beal and Co. 1864 Beal retired and sold the works to Parkgate Iron Co. Ltd. 1888 - expansion took place and company was changed to Parkgate Iron and Steel Co. Ltd. Tube Investments Ltd bought it in 1956. Site closed in 1974. -
1825 The townhall or court-house was erected, at a cost of £5,000. - - -
1827 Water Works established A company of shareholders with a capital of £2,000, established the Water Works. The water was pumped by a steam engine, (at the rate of 70,000 gallons per day) from springs in Wellgate, into two large cisterns at Quarry Hill and the Crofts, from which pipes were laid to dwellings -
1833 Gas Works erected A company of proprietors with a capital of £5.000, raised £25 shares. The works were constructed under the direction of Mr Colquhoun, of Sheffield, and the town was first illuminated on Nov. 15th 1833. At the works are 12 retorts, and a gasometer, of 130,460 cubic feet. The Rotherham Gas Light and Coke Co was first formed in 1833 and incorporated in 1846 through the Rotherham Gas Act. In 1855 the Rotherham Gas Light Act granted permission to extend the supply limits to cover Whiston, Heningthorpe, Tinsley, Rawmarsh, Greasborough, Brunsworth, Dalton and Aldwarke. The company was taken over by the local council in 1870 through the Rotherham and Kimberworth Local Board of Health Act. The works at Frederick St and Bridge St were extended by the Rotherham Corporation Act 1870 and the limits of supply extended to part of Ecclesfield through the Rotherham Corporation Act 1904. Further extension occurred in 1910 with supply reaching Thrybergh and in 1911 (Rotherham Corporation Act) to include Catchcliffe, Treeton and Wickersley. The Rotherham Corporation Act 1918 allowed the company to receive a supply from other companies in the region, possibly with the intention of establishing a network. The Conisborough Gas Co Ltd. became part of the corporation with the passing of the Rotherham Gas (No 2) Order 1932 and at the same time Denaby and some more of Ecclesfield was included in the supply limits. A works known as the Carhouse Works came under Rotherham's ownership in 1935. Rotherham Archives EM:ROC
1836 Tithe Commutation Act - - Read more
1838 The first rail link between Sheffield and Rotherham was opened - - -
1839 Rotherham Union Workhouse Founded in 1839 in Moorgate, Rotherham In 1930 it became the General and Municipal Hospital. In 1948 under the N H S it was renamed Moorgate Hospital. It closed in 1980 Rotherham first workhouse was probably the "Cottage Workhouse" on The Crofts. This was set up in 1659 in leased premises following a legacy of £100 left to Rotherham's poor by the Earl of Shrewsbury in 1617 and gift of £40 from Thomas Colte.
July, 1841 Masbrough ship launch disaster - - Read more
1856 West Riding Police Force was set up - The County and Borough Police Act was passed in 1853, three years later, the West Riding Constabulary was formed. In December, 1856, 354 men were in the Force. In 1857, the Force’s first permanent HQ at Cliffe House, Wakefield. The first Chief Constable was Colonel C.A Cobbe. -
1858 The Rotherham and Masbrough Advertiser, established - - -
10/03/1863 Election Riots at Rotherham and Wath - Lord Palmerston, Liberal Prime Minister called the election.From the outset, feeling ran high, , the working men of Rotherham were keen politicians, getting acquainted with the issues before the country. Read more
24/07/1865 Rotherham celebrated the royal wedding of King Edward and Princess Alexandria - - -
3rd April 1869 Proposed Infirmary Over 90 tenders received - Source: The Builder
1871 Rotherham received its Charter of Incorporation - - -
9/11/1871 First Mayor of Rotherham Mr. J. M. Habershon- - See Reminiscences of Rotherham-
1871 Rotherham Hospital and Dispensary built at Doncaster Gate - - -
1879 Rotherham Cycle Club formed George Gummer founder and Honorary Secretary - -
1882 Rotherham Police Force was set up - - Rotherham force continued until 1967 when Sheffield and Rotherham Joint Force was established
1886 Rotherham Racecourse was opened Situated at the top of Wellgate, the last race was run in 1901. Rotherham had THREE racecourses. (1) Rotherham Moor Racecourse 1832 Opposite Rotherham Cricket Club at the top of Wellgate, showing between Broom Road and Moorgate Road. (2) East Dene Racecourse 1866-1874 On land surrounded by Doncaster Road, Middle Lane and Badsley Moor Lane. (3) Racecourse 1889-1902 On land behind Rotherham Cricket Club at the top of Wellgate. Rotherham Archives
1902 Rotherham became a County Borough - - -
31st January 1903 Rotherham Tramway - The system began operating on the 31st January 1903 when two routes radiating from College Square in the town centre opened -
1912 Rotherham and District Rescue Station Board formed Agreements made between Major Hugh de Crespigny, Eastwood and F.J. Jones, M. Deacon and F.J. Dundas over the conveyance of freehold lands in St. Ann's Road and Erskine Road, Rotherham. 1913 - Rotherham Archives, Reference: 185/B/1/9/6
26th July 1913 Rotherham Motor Bus Service - The first motorbuses were three open-top, double-deck, Daimler CC’s, which were used to inaugurate a route from Thorpe Hesley to Rotherham,with further routes to Treeton and to Aston following shortly afterward, but further expansion was curtailed by the onset of World War I. -
1923 Rotherham Rugby Union Football Club formed - The majority of the founding members were professional and business people who had been introduced to the game at school. They moved to Clifton Lane in the late 1930s. Rotherham Titans Rugby Club
1948 National Health Service was introduced Rotherham and Mexborough Hospital Management Committee Aneurin Bevan was the Minister of Health, and it was his job to implement the new Health Service. Hospitals within England and Wales, which were categorised into 14 Regional Hospital Boards plus Teaching Hospitals.Sheffield Regional Hospital Board consisted of 30 committees Each Regional Hospital Board controlled a number of Hospital Management Committee's which in turn were responsible for a number of Hospitals in their area.
1963 Closure of Railway Wheel Works John Baker and Bessemer (Rotherham) The English Steel Corporation and the United Steel Companies announced on Oct. 23, 1963, that they would jointly and equally buy John Baker and Bessemer (Rotherham) for £1,500,000 and would close the Baker works engaged on railway wheel, tyre, and axle production, about 1,000 workers becoming redundant. -
1964 Park Gate Iron and Steel - A new plant was officially opened on July 6, 1964. Built at a cost of £32,000,000, it was to increase Park Gate's annual output from 425,000 to 800,000 ingot tons. -
1st April 1974 Metropolitan County of South Yorkshire 1st April 1974, Rotherham became a part of the newly created Metropolitan County of South Yorkshire - -
1985 York and Lancaster Regimental Museum - York and Lancaster Regimental Museum Located in Rotherham Arts Centre, the museum brings the Regiment's story vividly to life using a unique collection of military objects and personal memorabilia. There is no better place to experience more than 200 years of military history from the Seven Years War to the late 20th Century -
1993 Templeborough Melting Shop closed - its production of steel could no longer compete with those employing highly automated techniques. The council's plans to create a steel museum, resulted in the £46 million Magna Centre, a hi-tech science park with a strong emphasis on gadgets and fun. Magna Centre

History Index