Clumber House and Park
The house, the former seat of the Dukes of Newcastle-under-Lyme, was built in the 1770s to designs by Stephen Bright, who also designed the bridge, temple and lodges. It was enlarged by Sir Charles Barry, architect of the Houses of Parliament.
Clumber was dismantled in 1938 and many of its features were sold, including the famous marble staircase, the magnificent fountain and the half mile of balustrading of the terraces. The terraces stretched for a quarter of a mile many a marble statue and sculpted vase. The centrepiece of this elaborate display was a vast marble fountain hewn from a solid block and weighing 50 tons. The lower basin was 12 feet 6 inches in diameter, and the upper, supported by four dolphins, was four feet across.
The interiors of Clumber were richly endowed and decorated with beautiful things. The State Dining Room was 60 feet in length and could accommodate 150 guests. On the walls were pictures by Zuccarelli, Snyders and Weenix. The Grand Hall, 82 feet by 45 feet, contained statuary by Canova and Nollekens and the works of Rubens, Rembrandt, Poussin, Canaletto and Teniers, hung in the Drawing Room. Stepping out onto the terraces which descended gently down to the 200 acre lake, a large, fully rigged model of a frigate The Lincoln could be spied at anchor.
The State Drawing Room
Charles Barry's Saloon
The Study contained a massive marble chimneypiece from Fonthill and the great Marble Saloon was typical of Charles Barry's classical masterpieces in S.W.1. such as Bridgewater House and Reform Club.
Appley Lodge, the classical entrance screen leading to Lime Avenue
The family's private church, built by the 7th Duke of Newcastle in 1884 to the designs of G. F. Bodley, R.A., a distinguished victorian architect.