Wentworth Castle and Stainborough Park estate
(1672-1739) purchased the estate at Stainborough from the Cutler family in 1708,(Sir Gervase Cutler of Stainbrough had died in 1704) and after substantial rebuilding Stainborough Hall was renamed Wentworth Castle. Thomas Wentworth was created 1st Earl of Strafford of the 2nd creation in 1711.
His son William (1712-1791) subsequently became 2nd Earl. He died without issue and the title and estate passed to his cousin's son, Frederick Wentworth (1732-1799), the 3rd Earl. After he too died without issue the 2nd Earldom became extinct.
At the death of Charles Watson-Wentworth(1730-1782), 2nd Marquis of Rockingham in 1782, his nephew, William Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, (1748-1833), 4th Earl Fitzwilliam
succeeded to the Wentworth estates in England and Ireland. The Earl died at the age of 85 in 1833; his son and heir, Lord Milton, had long taken an active part in the management of the Fitzwilliam estate
The estate passed to Frederick's sister, Augusta Wentworth (Mrs Hatfield Kaye), and after her death in 1802 was inherited by a descendant of the 1st Earl, Frederick W T Vernon (1795-1885), who changed his name to Vernon-Wentworth.
He was succeeded by his son, Thomas F C Vernon-Wentworth (1831-1902), and grandson, Captain Bruce Canning Vernon-Wentworth (1862-1951). Captain Vernon-Wentworth, who died without issue, sold the estate to Barnsley Corporation in 1948. The house was a teacher training college until 1978 and is now used by Northern College.
View from Wentworth Castle
This Castle, which occupies the site of an eminent fortress, was
built about the year 1730, by Thomas, Earl of Strafford. It is a large quadrangular building, and over
the centre window of the north front are the arms of the founder. The east
front of this noble mansion is of a modern character, and was erected by
William, Earl of Strafford, about 1770. Its architecture is at once both
elegant and rich. In the interior are a great many spacious and elegant
rooms, but its greatest beauty is to be found in the gallery, one hundred and eighty feet long, by twenty-four broad,
and thirty high, divided into three divisions, by magnificent pillars of marble, with gilt capitals.
The baroque facade was built around 1710 by Thomas Wentworth.The palladian wing was built around 1760
Interior Wentworth Castle
Views of Wentworth Castle
The Great Hall
The Bridge over Serpentine
Front of Old Castle
The Old Staircase
The Picture Gallery
The Mausoleum, in memory of the 2nd Marquis of Rockingham
The Dairy Avenue
Queen Anne's Sitting Room
The Strafford Dining Room
Frederick Vernon Wentworth, Esq.died.1885.
Will Hon. Lady Augusta Frederica Louisa Frances Vernon-Wentworth
The will of the Hon. Lady Augusta Frederica Louisa Frances Vernon-Wentworth K.T. wife of Frederick William Thomas
Vernon-Wentworth, Esq., of Wentworth Castle, York, and Connaught Place, Middlesex, was proved, at Wakefield, under £90,000,
by Arthur Bethel Thellusson, Esq. her son-in-law, and Thomas Frederick Charles Vernon-Wentworth, Esq. her son, the acting
executors and trustees, the other executors being her brothers, the most Hon. George William, Marquis of Ailesbury, K.G.
P.C., and the Right Hon. Lord Ernest A. Bruce, C.B. P.C., to whom power is reserved to prove hereafter.
Her Ladyship executed her will in 1866, and died in September 1869, aged 74.
She bequeaths to the Beckett Dispensary, Barnsley; St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington; Cancer Hospital, Brompton; and the
Royal Hospital for Incurables, Putney, each £100; and to the parishes of Worsbrough, Worsbrough Dale, Stainbrough, and
Dodworth, each £25 free of duty.
To her two daughters, Louis Mary H. Vernon-Wentworth and Henrietta Frances Elizabeth Thellusson, all her jewels,
diamonds, and ornaments of the person, and her horses and carriages equally between them, as well as the rest of her
property, appointing them residuary legatees.
Christening of Earl Fitzwilliam's (William Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 7th Earl Fitzwilliam
) heir- Peter Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 8th Earl Fitzwilliam
- at Wentworth Feb 11th 1911. Presentation of a cup to the Earl
and Countess Fitzwilliam
The following 2 postcards are from a set of postcards which document the travels of Mabel Sudbury who with her family
travelled between England and Australia in the late 1800's & early1900's. One of Mabel's friends lived at Wentworth
Castle for some time ( Edith B. is the handwritten signature on one postcard).
1907, Rockley Woodhouse
1907, Wentworth Castle Eastern front
Wentworth Castle was extended in 1909 when a new wing was built by
Arthur Cooper Builder and Stonemason.
The staff of Arthur Cooper, 1909
Hood Green Lodge
William Clegg was a stonemason, he worked on the Wentworth Castle Estate for upwards of 30 years, during which he assisted
in the building of Hood Green Lodge. When the Birdwell Obelisk was struck by lightning in about 1913, he was responsible
for putting up the scaffolding and replacing the top stones.
« On the reverse of one of the following three postcards, it states:
This is a new lodge we are building at Stainboro'. It was dated 1909 and was written by
Betsy(pictured on the first image), wife of Harold Clegg,
carpenter and daughter-in-law of the stonemason, William Clegg,
to her sister Beatrice Frost
Hood Green Lodge survives and is now called Park Lodge.
See also Henry Skrine's visit to Wentworth Park, Barnsley and Wentworth, Rotherham.
» Wentworth Castle , Restoration, 2003
« Gallery Index
« History Index