History of Thurcroft
Community Groups in the 1970s
- Scouts - Located - Scout Headquarters, Sandy Lane.
- Cubs - Located - Scout Headquarters, Sandy Lane.
- Guides - Located - Church Hall,
- Brownies - Located - Church Hall
- Theatre Group - Put on two shows a year and was well supported - Located Welfare Hall
- Karate Club - Located Green Arbour Road - met twice a week
- Pigeon Fanciers - Held meetings in a local hotel - organised races - send pigeons to France
- Buffaloes - Met once a week in local hotel - Activities secret
- Chocolate Club - O.A.Ps met once a week in the Welfare Hall to play bingo for groceries
- Cricket Club and Football Club - Both colliery clubs with their own sports pavilion and playing field
- Thurcroft Cottage Garden and Allotment Association
The Cottage Garden and Allotment Association was formed in 1924, poor wages meant that the miners had to grow a lot of the food that their families ate.
In 1975 there were 60 tenants renting allotments, for the privilege of cultivating a small piece of land the tenants paid £1 a year - 20p per week, old age pensioners paid 5p. There was always a waiting list of people wanting to join.
The association purchased seed, fertiliser etc.. in bulk and sold to the members at a much reduced price. Trading in seed etc. in 1974 amounted to over £1,000.
The average age of the tenants was 50. The association held an annual show at the Miners Welfare and a weekly show at the Thurcroft Hotel.
The Thurcroft Welfare Hall is still used today in 2007 for different group meetings and activities one of which is a Dance School for children with classes during the week but mainly on Saturdays, there's also keep fit classes and a Bowling Club, the bowling green is at the back of the hall, these are only a few of the activities that the hall is used for.