Domesday name: Rodemesc;
Rowmareis c.1200; - Red marsh, Old Scand.- rauthr and Old Eng - mersc
Source:A Dictionary of British Place-Names in Names & Places
Named by the Saxons from a cross placed upon wet marshy land near the River Don, probably the site of flooding. William the Conqueror gave the land to Walter D'eincourt one of his captains. It continued in his family until the reign of Henry lV when John Deincourt died seised of a third of the town, leaving it to his son William who was 3 years old. He married but with no issue; his sisters, Margaret, who married Lord Ralph Cromwell, and Alice, married to Lord Lovell, became heirs.
Part of the Lordship was eventually given to the Chapel of St. Mary's, Southwell, Notts.
In Rawmarsh Church, there is a memorial to John Darley of Kilnhurst:
John Darley, of Kilnehurst, Gent, a younger son of William Darley, of Buttercrambe, Esq., 1616, aet. 75, and wife Alice, a daughter of Christopher Mountfort, Esq., married 47 years, with eight children, Thos., Wm., Frauncis, John, Benedicta, Elizth., Ann, Mary
Camden wrote that Rawmarsh was famous for its earthenware and the white wheat, its fields produce.
The School was rebuilt in 1802, at the cost of £210. The Schoolmaster has about £60, and the Schoolmistress £15, and the poor £15 yearly, from the bequests of E. Goodwin, T. Wilson, and others. The former donor also founded six almshouses for six poor women, who have the interest of £3,500, three per cent consol’s, purchased with money obtained from the sale of coal under the Greasbro' Trust Estate.
Described in 1822, as, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, 2 miles N. of Rotherham, 8 from Sheffield, 10 from Barnsley, 46 from York. Population 1,259. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Lawrence, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £8. 7s. 3½d. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. Here is a small Charity School, founded early in 1600, by one Thomas Wilson, and Edward Goodwin.
Rawmarsh was one of the first villages that established a Sunday School
Rawmarsh Hall was the home of Rev. William Ellis in 1833. John Maxfield, was master of the Grammar School. George Green , Eliza Hawley , and Thomas Taylor & Co. were listed as Earthenware Manufacturers.
Also included in the parish:
- Lane Head, a farm-house in township and parish of Rawmarsh; 3 miles from Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield
- Parkgate , a single house in the parish of Rawmarsh; 1 mile S. of Rawmarsh
- Rose Hill, the seat of Robert Leighton in the township and parish of Rawmarsh; 3 miles from Rotherham
- Round Wood, a farm-house in the township and parish of Rawmarsh; 2½ miles N. of Rotherham
- Ryecroft, a farm-house in the township and parish of Rawmarsh; 3 miles N. of Rotherham
- Stubbing, a farm-house in the township and parish of Rawmarsh; 3½ miles N. of Rotherham
- Upper Haugh, in the township and parish of Rawmarsh, upper division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 3 miles N. of Rotherham, 9 from Sheffield and Barnsley
On 30th May, 1847, Suzannah Jaggers aged 59 of Masborough, was murdered by Samuel Linley, while on her way to Parkgate. Read More »
On 20th December, 1851, 52 men and boys were killed in an explosion at Warren Vale Colliery Rawmarsh.
In 1861, here were 913 houses and 4,375 inhabitants. Earl Fitzwilliam was the principal owner, being proprietor of one third of the parish. The Church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, erected on the site of a former one, taken down in 1838. The tower, in which are 6 bells, and which is embellished with a clock, was erected in 1855, at a cost of £700. The living is a rectory, value £402. in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Sir William Vesey Ross Mahon, M.A.
The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have Chapels here. In about 1863, the foundation-stone of a new Congregational chapel was laid at Rawmarsh by John Munro, Esq. The site of the building was a vacant piece of land at the junction of Stocks Lane with Swinton Road, near the toll-bar. The edifice was to accommodate 380 persons, and contain a vestry capable of seating 40. A silver trowel and mahogany mallet were presented to Dr. Munro by the Rev. John Fisher of the Independent Chapel, Rawmarsh, on behalf of the congregation, after which the stone was laid with the usual formalities.
In the parish are several large collieries, and also several extensive potteries, for the manufacture of white and coloured earthenware, for which Rawmarsh has long been celebrated.
Two late 16th century pottery kilns and a clay pit were identified during construction work in Rawmarsh in 1964. Adjacent to Green Lane. In 1970 two post-medieval pottery kilns identified during alterations to the house at 9 Warren Vale, Rawmarsh. The kilns were discovered in the thickness of the south-west gable wall. The earlier kiln comprised an arched cavity 29 inches in width and 48 inches in height. The later kiln cut at an angle across the earlier kiln and measured 20 inches in width and 51 inches in height. Pottery produced included black glazed wares and creamwares. Production appeared to have ceased during the late 18th or early 19th century.
Birch Wood, part of the Warren Vale Local Nature Reserve lies approximately 5 kilometres north of the centre of Rotherham, on the northern edge of Rawmarsh. Directly north of Birch Wood lies the Roman Ridge, built between 450 and 600 AD to defend the Celtic kingdom of Elmet from the advancing Anglo-Saxons. The earliest record of the woodland itself dates from 1776