In 1832 the parish comprised the two contiguous hamlets and constable wicks of Carlton-in-Lindrick and Kingston-in- Carlton, near Wallingwells, on the road between Tickhill and Worksop, three and a half miles north of the latter.
It was of sufficient consequence in Saxon times to have six resident Thanes, each having a Hall or Manor, but these were all swallowed up by Roger de Busli, at the Norman Conquest.
The family of Chevercourt held it under him, but their heirs failing, it was divided between the Latimers and Fitzhughs, from whom it passed to the Dacres, Molyneux, Taylors, and Cliftons, the latter of whom built a fine seat here. It contains 189 houses, 974 inhabitants, and 4073 acres of land, of which about 1518 acres now belong to the Lord of the Manor, Robert Ramsden, Esq., of Carlton Hall; 600 acres to H. Gally Knight; 463 acres to Sir Thomas White; and 558 acres to the Rector, who received his portion at the enclosure in 1767, as a commutation of all the tithes of the parish.
The Church, dedicated to St. John, is a handsome gothic edifice, having received considerable repairs, and a new south aisle, erected in 1831, in unison with the rest of the building, which is in the style that prevailed in the reign of Henry VI. Under the new aisle, Sir Thomas White formed a spacious vault for the interment of himself and family. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £15 13s. 4d. The Archbishop of York is the patron, and the Rev. Charles Wasteneys Eyre, M.A. is the incumbent.
Kingston-in-Carlton, commonly called North Carlton, was anciently so called from its being the King's Manor; and Carlton-in-Lindrick, often called South Carlton, may be supposed to have had the distinctive part of its name from the Saxon Lind or Linden - here being probably in monastic times several shady avenues of lime trees, under which the monks of Wallingwells used to promenade.
The South Common Field, 2 acres. let for £6, belongs to the Church. A house and two small fields in the valley between North and South Carlton, formerly belonged to the parish schoolmaster, until they were sold to the Ramsden family, but in 1831, Robert Ramsden repaired the loss of the poor by erecting a new school, near the same site, and allowed a salary to a master and mistress, who had under their care nearly 200 children and infants. He also furnished a library of 200 volumes for the use of the parishioners.
The western side of the parish adjoins Yorkshire, and has a rich limestone soil, but the eastern side is sandy, and rises to a considerable altitude.