Out & About
See also Events in Rotherham
The mediŠval Minster Church of All Saints is 15th Century and the successor to three previous churches, which stood on the same spot from 937AD onwards.
Nicolas Pevsner described it as
"...One of the finest examples of medieval
Perpendicular architecture in the country..."
The Grammar School, now Thomas Rotherham College, was founded in 1483 by Thomas de Rotherham, the Archbishop of York.
The bridge spanning the Don has a 15th century chapel, one of only three such bridge chapels remaining in England. The Chantry Bridge was built in 1483. It is thought that Thomas Rotherham probably contributed towards this.
In 1547 the Chapel was closed until 1778 when work began on converting the chapel to a prison which closed in 1826. In 1975 a new stained glass window was installed which charts the history of the Chapel and town, and incorporates many family crests of people associated with the Chapel.
Roche Abbey, in Maltby,a few miles to the east
of Rotherham, was founded by Cistercian monks.
It was built in 1147 by Richard de Busli, who owned the estates at nearby Tickhill, from the time of the Norman conquest, and Richard FitzTurgis. Capability Brown was responsible for landscaping the grounds in 1774.
Standing 90 feet high, the keep is unusual in having a circular plan and it is supported by six wedge-shaped buttresses. The only entrance at first floor level was originally approached by wooden stairs and guarded by a drawbridge. Access to the three storeys above the first floor was by means of a staircase in the thickness of the wall. The main reception room, which has a large fireplace and latrine, was on the third floor. Above this was the lord's private chamber, again with a fireplace, and a chapel in one of the buttresses.
Built a little later than the keep was the curtain wall of the bailey which has solid half-round projecting towers on its south and west sides where natural defence is poor. Of a similar date were buildings in the bailey, including a great hall, of which little survives.(Reference - The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: the West Riding, by N. N. Pevsner, and E. Radcliffe, 1967. )
Clifton Museum, originally Clifton Park House which was was built in 1783. It was owned by the Walker family until 1893 when the house became a museum and was eventually opened to the public. The Victorian kitchen gives an idea of life 'below stairs'. The Museum also has a fine collection of glass pieces produced from the 18th Century to the present day. A public collection of Rockingham Pottery, said to be the best in the country can be seen in the museum.
Boston Park is about half a mile from the town centre. It covers 23 acres, and was opened in 1876 to celebrate the first centenary of the American Declaration of Independence. It is named from Boston, Massachusetts, the scene of the Boston Tea Party of 1775. On a clear day there are good views across Don Valley to Meadowhall, and the Peak District. Boston Castle, which stands in its grounds, was constructed as a hunting lodge in 1775 by the Earl of Effingham.
Ulley Country Park is situated within the South Yorkshire Forest and just 4 miles south of Rotherham town centre on the A618. Ulley Reservoir was originally built as a reservoir in the 1870's to provide the town with drinking water. The main recreational activities to take place at Ulley are walking and angling. It is home to Ulley Sailing Club. Also at the country park is Ulley Activity Centre which is part of the Education Programme Area. There is a two mile walk around the park, and a footpath of the Chesterfield Canal between Worksop and West Stockwith. For more information, see our Ulley website.
Rother Valley Country Park was created from restored opencast coal workings. The park covers some 750 acres.A whole range of recreational activities are available from windsurfing and sailing to fishing, walking and bird-watching. There are many paths and trails suitable for walking, cycling,horse riding and orienteering. The visitor centre is based in an historic complex of buildings at Bedgreave Mill; the restored mill has an exhibition depicting the history of the area.
Thrybergh Country Park was opened in 1983. Thrybergh and nearby Firsby reservoirs were built between 1876 and 1880 to provide water for the Doncaster area. Thrybergh Country Park is open all year round for walkers and bird watchers. There is also an adventure playground for the children to enjoy.The main recreational activities to take place at Thrybergh are walking and fly fishing. Activities take place all year round. Fishing is only permitted between March 25th and October 31st. It is a nature reserve, a haven for wildlife. There are various organised events including walks, and bird-watching.
Wortley Top Forge Built in the 17th century and believed to be the only water-driven iron forge of its kind in Britain with three water-wheels turning.
Adding to Rotherham's attractions is the £46 million Magna Centre , the first science adventure centre in the country, housed in a former steelworks. See the website for further details. Situated on Sheffield Road, Templeborough, Rotherham,
South Yorkshire, S60 1DX
Telephone: 01709 720002 Fax: 01709 820092
See also on Rotherham Web:
The Dukeries & Sherwood Forest, The Major Oak,
Cresswell Crags, Hodsock Gardens
plus many other places listed in our Photo Gallery from Thorne, Doncaster to Epworth, home to John Wesley, or Coastal resorts of Lincolnshire
RotherhamClifton Park Museum South Yorkshire Transport Museum York and Lancaster Regimental Museum
Fire and Police Museum Sheffield
The Hawley Collection Edge-tools and cutlery
Sandtoft Trolley Bus Museum Doncaster
Cusworth Hall, The Museum of South Yorkshire Life
BarnsleyElsecar Heritage Centre
Cannon Hall Museum Barnsley
Tourist InformationVisit Rotherham Gardens of South Yorkshire Visit South Yorkshire Visit Yorkshire Sheffield Tourism Visit Doncaster Spin Sheffield 360 Virtual Tour of Sheffield Barnsley Leisure Guide Trans Pennine Trail in South Yorkshire Yorkshire Visitor Centre
Rotherham Visitors Centre
Located on Bridgegate, it is changing its opening times. From Monday, March 30, 2009, the Centre will be opening at 9.30am closing at 1pm on both Thursday and Saturday.
All other days, other than Sunday when it is closed all day, are unaffected and remain at their usual 9.30 to 5pm opening times.
The Visitors Centre, which as well as selling a range of Rotherham merchandise, also serves a first point of call for all information about events and attractions happening across the borough.
They also sell tickets for theatre shows and home Rotherham United football matches